ProPublica Wins Two Awards of Excellence in Digital Design
The Society for News Design has honored ProPublica with two Best of Digital Design Awards. The first Award of Excellence in data-driven projects recognized ProPublica's Opportunity Gap news application, which presents federal data on public schools across the country to see how states compare in providing equal access to education. The second Award of Excellence was for ProPublica's mobile experience. We recently re-engineered our site with an adaptive design so that users can see an optimized version that perfectly fits their smartphone, no matter what size the screen. Scott Klein, ProPublica's director of news applications, describes in detail how he and his team accomplished this on our nerd blog.
This is the second year ProPublica has won two Best of Digital Design Awards from SND. Last year, ProPublica's Dialysis Facility Tracker news application won in information graphics and ProPublica was a part of the judges' "special recognition" category for "defining the design language of data-driven news apps" and establishing "a consistent set of expectations for a new breed of storytelling."
You can see a full list of this year's winners here. Congratulations to our news apps team.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.