ProPublica Wins Two Awards of Excellence in Digital Design
The Society for News Design has honored ProPublica with two Best of Digital Design Awards. The first Award of Excellence in data-driven projects recognized ProPublica's Opportunity Gap news application, which presents federal data on public schools across the country to see how states compare in providing equal access to education. The second Award of Excellence was for ProPublica's mobile experience. We recently re-engineered our site with an adaptive design so that users can see an optimized version that perfectly fits their smartphone, no matter what size the screen. Scott Klein, ProPublica's director of news applications, describes in detail how he and his team accomplished this on our nerd blog.
This is the second year ProPublica has won two Best of Digital Design Awards from SND. Last year, ProPublica's Dialysis Facility Tracker news application won in information graphics and ProPublica was a part of the judges' "special recognition" category for "defining the design language of data-driven news apps" and establishing "a consistent set of expectations for a new breed of storytelling."
You can see a full list of this year's winners here. Congratulations to our news apps team.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Celeste LeCompte Named ProPublica’s Director of Business Development
- Annie Waldman to Cover Education for ProPublica
- Adam Harris to Join ProPublica as Assistant Social Editor
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.