ProPublica’s Amanda Michel Among Top New Media Innovators
New York Magazine recently compiled a list of the top 21 new media innovators -- a group of journalists and like-minded inventors who are crafting tools that "fill the holes left open by the new/old media dichotomy" -- and ProPublica was pleased to find that one of our very own was mentioned: Director of Online Engagement, Amanda Michel.
Michel (@amichel), who previously ran The Huffington Post's OffTheBus citizen journalism project, spearheads everything social at ProPublica, such as our ever-growing Twitter account (@ProPublica) and Facebook page. However, Michel's efforts to rethink crowdsourcing when it comes to journalism is what landed her on this list with fellow 'data detectives' Aron Pilhofer of DocumentCloud and Matt Stiles of NPR.
Notably, Michel has utilized crowdsourcing to scour through the tons of data on the federal government's Recovery.org site and Amazon's Mechanical Turk to help collect, reformat, and de-duplicate this information. Her latest community project, #MuckReads, allows anyone to suggest some of the top accountability stories of the day by tweeting the hashtag or emailing recommendations. ProPublica hopes to turn this into an ongoing newsroom resource. "Our mission is to do journalism that has real-world impact, and we're especially keen to find and promote work from others that has the same impetus," Michel writes.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Alexandra Zayas to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- Talia Buford to Cover Disparities in Environmental Impacts for ProPublica
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.