ProPublica’s ‘Busted’ a Finalist in Loeb Awards for Business Journalism
The UCLA Anderson School of Management has named the ProPublica investigation “Busted” a finalist in in the 2017 Gerald Loeb Awards, one of the most prestigious honors in business journalism. The series — published in partnership with The New York Times Magazine, the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the Tampa Bay Times — is a finalist in the investigative category.
Written by reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Topher Sanders, the stories illuminate how roadside drug tests deployed by law enforcement nationwide have been used to send tens of thousands of people to jail every year — despite evidence showing that these tests routinely produce false positives. Increasingly taking the place of scientific review in crime labs, the $2 drug tests can lead to wrongful convictions that can include lengthy jail sentences, felony records, unemployment and undeserved social stigma.
The reporting had significant impact, including prompting the district attorney’s office in Portland, Oregon, to review its drug possession cases. The office discovered five wrongful convictions and vacated them. Portland’s district attorney’s office ultimately changed the way it secured guilty pleas in drug possession cases based on these tests. Now such pleas will not be allowed unless the preliminary roadside test is confirmed by lab analysis. In Texas, a state commission recommended that crime labs review all field test results and re-test results in previous cases that had not been confirmed by lab testing.
Winners will be announced in June. See the full list of finalists here.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.