ProPublica’s Jesse Eisinger to Write for New York Times DealBook
In a new arrangement announced today, ProPublica senior reporter Jesse Eisinger will contribute a twice-monthly column to The New York Times’ revamped DealBook. Eisinger will continue in his role as an investigative reporter at ProPublica, but he will also serve as one of 16 contributors to DealBook. His columns, which will appear both online and in print, will focus on accountability issues and abuses of power in the world of high finance.
Eisinger, along with ProPublica reporter Jake Bernstein, wrote the blockbuster "The Magnetar Trade" investigation that revealed how a Chicago-based hedge fund did deals that ultimately exacerbated the housing crisis. The pair followed it up with "Banks' Self-Dealing Super-Charged Financial Crisis" that explored how the top Wall Street investment banks created fake demand for securities known as collateralized debt obligations or CDOs. And earlier this week, they reported on the SEC's investigation of a CDO deal between JPMorgan Chase and Magnetar.
According to the Times, the expanded DealBook will feature "more news, information, analysis and features to create the most authoritative source for deal-makers and industries that thrive and function within the deal community." Eisinger's columns will be cross-posted at both ProPublica and DealBook. Read the Times press release for more information.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.