ProPublica’s ‘Kushnerville’ Investigation Wins June Sidney Award
ProPublica reporter Alec MacGillis is the recipient of this month’s Sidney Award for his investigation, “The Beleaguered Tenants of ‘Kushnerville.’” Co-published with the New York Times Magazine, the story shines a light on Jared Kushner’s role as a real estate developer and landlord to hundreds of tenants in low-income housing units in the Baltimore suburbs.
MacGillis chronicled how President Trump’s son-in-law's company bought up rental complexes only to leave the homes in extreme disrepair, humiliate late-paying renters, and sue them for thousands of dollars when they try to move out. Before MacGillis’ reporting, few tenants knew who their landlord was.
“MacGillis has unmasked the president’s closest advisor as a slumlord,” said Sidney judge Lindsay Beyerstein. “His reporting raises urgent questions about whether Housing and Urban Development will enforce Section 8 housing regulations when the landlord is ‘Secretary of Everything.’”
Administered by the Sidney Hillman Foundation, the monthly Hillman Award recognizes “outstanding journalism that fosters social and economic justice.” Read more about the award here.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Hires Vignesh Ramachandran as Web Producer
- Steve Mills to Join ProPublica Illinois as Deputy Editor
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.