ProPublica’s ‘Temp Land’ Investigation Wins Sidney Award
ProPublica's Michael Grabell is the recipient of this month's Sidney Award for his deep dive investigation, "The Expendables: How the Temps Who Power Corporate Giants Are Getting Crushed." This is ProPublica's first time winning the esteemed prize, which recognizes outstanding journalism that fosters social and economic justice.
His report specifically highlighted how corporations like Walmart, Nike and Frito-Lay are hiring more temp workers than ever before -- there are more than 2.7 million temp workers in the U.S. alone -- to cut costs while insulating themselves from employer responsibilities. Grabell found that these blue-collar "permatemps" typically earn 25 percent less than their full-time counterparts, often without any benefits, and they are more likely to be injured at work.
"Grabell shows that the tempification of America was no accident," Sidney judge Lindsay Beyerstein said. "His reporting demonstrates that the shift from perm to temp was a systematic bid to undermine the employer-employee relationship and shift the balance of power in favor of the employer."
The Sidney has been distributed by the Sidney Hillman Foundation since 2009. You can read more about the foundation and its awards here.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Expands Its Data Sales Business, Announces New Partnerships With Investigative Reporters and Editors and New York Daily News
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.