ProPublica’s ‘Temp Land’ Investigation Wins Sidney Award
ProPublica's Michael Grabell is the recipient of this month's Sidney Award for his deep dive investigation, "The Expendables: How the Temps Who Power Corporate Giants Are Getting Crushed." This is ProPublica's first time winning the esteemed prize, which recognizes outstanding journalism that fosters social and economic justice.
His report specifically highlighted how corporations like Walmart, Nike and Frito-Lay are hiring more temp workers than ever before -- there are more than 2.7 million temp workers in the U.S. alone -- to cut costs while insulating themselves from employer responsibilities. Grabell found that these blue-collar "permatemps" typically earn 25 percent less than their full-time counterparts, often without any benefits, and they are more likely to be injured at work.
"Grabell shows that the tempification of America was no accident," Sidney judge Lindsay Beyerstein said. "His reporting demonstrates that the shift from perm to temp was a systematic bid to undermine the employer-employee relationship and shift the balance of power in favor of the employer."
The Sidney has been distributed by the Sidney Hillman Foundation since 2009. You can read more about the foundation and its awards here.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Alexandra Zayas to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- Talia Buford to Cover Disparities in Environmental Impacts for ProPublica
- Louise Kiernan Named Editor-in-Chief of ProPublica Illinois
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.