ProPublica’s ‘The Prescribers’ Wins IRE Award
Investigative Reporters & Editors has named ProPublica's "The Prescribers" series the winner of its 2013 FOI Award, which recognizes an organization whose significant actions further open records or open government. The FOI Award is one of three special medals, the highest honor IRE bestows for outstanding watchdog journalism.
"ProPublica accomplished many feats at once in 'The Prescribers,' detailing a danger to the nation's health and billions in wasted federal dollars, while securing complete public access to Medicare prescription data for the first time," the judges write. "...Some officials opposed disclosing the identities of doctors and providers, but the information was ultimately released, scoring a precedent for all future requests."
See the full list of winners here. Congratulations to all involved.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.