ProPublica’s ‘The Prescribers’ Wins IRE Award
Investigative Reporters & Editors has named ProPublica's "The Prescribers" series the winner of its 2013 FOI Award, which recognizes an organization whose significant actions further open records or open government. The FOI Award is one of three special medals, the highest honor IRE bestows for outstanding watchdog journalism.
"ProPublica accomplished many feats at once in 'The Prescribers,' detailing a danger to the nation's health and billions in wasted federal dollars, while securing complete public access to Medicare prescription data for the first time," the judges write. "...Some officials opposed disclosing the identities of doctors and providers, but the information was ultimately released, scoring a precedent for all future requests."
See the full list of winners here. Congratulations to all involved.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Celeste LeCompte Named ProPublica’s Director of Business Development
- Annie Waldman to Cover Education for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.