Should the Government Compel Communities to Integrate?
For our next Investigate This Tenement Talk, we’re putting together a panel that will try to answer whether the U.S. government has the right to force cities to integrate. The panelists will be ProPublica reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones, former senior Housing and Urban Development official Betsy Julian, the Tenement Museum’s senior education associate Adam Steinberg and WNYC’s Empire Blog writer Colby Hamilton will moderate the discussion.
The event will take place on Monday, December 10 at 6:30pm Eastern at the Tenement Museum, which is located at 103 Orchard Street (at Delancey). It’s free and open to the public and can be viewed live on the Tenement Museum’s U-Stream channel. If you have a question you would like to ask, tweet it with the hashtag #InvestigateThis and we'll have the participants answer.
The conversation comes on the heels of an investigation published last month, in which Hannah-Jones explored how HUD has never truly tried to enforce the Fair Housing Act. She went on to detail how, even with a court order to desegregate, HUD has let New York’s Westchester County fight attempts to integrate the county that both Bill Clinton and Gov. Andrew Cuomo call home.
We hope to see you there.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.