Should the Government Compel Communities to Integrate?
For our next Investigate This Tenement Talk, we’re putting together a panel that will try to answer whether the U.S. government has the right to force cities to integrate. The panelists will be ProPublica reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones, former senior Housing and Urban Development official Betsy Julian, the Tenement Museum’s senior education associate Adam Steinberg and WNYC’s Empire Blog writer Colby Hamilton will moderate the discussion.
The event will take place on Monday, December 10 at 6:30pm Eastern at the Tenement Museum, which is located at 103 Orchard Street (at Delancey). It’s free and open to the public and can be viewed live on the Tenement Museum’s U-Stream channel. If you have a question you would like to ask, tweet it with the hashtag #InvestigateThis and we'll have the participants answer.
The conversation comes on the heels of an investigation published last month, in which Hannah-Jones explored how HUD has never truly tried to enforce the Fair Housing Act. She went on to detail how, even with a court order to desegregate, HUD has let New York’s Westchester County fight attempts to integrate the county that both Bill Clinton and Gov. Andrew Cuomo call home.
We hope to see you there.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.