Watch Live at 6:30 p.m. PST: The Way Forward for Unreliable Police Drug Kits
Tonight at 6:30 p.m. PST (9:30 EST), ProPublica and the Las Vegas Review-Journal are presenting a live event, “Unreliable and Unchallenged: The Way Forward for Police Drug Kits in Las Vegas.” This program will be broadcast live on the ProPublica and Las Vegas Review-Journal Facebook pages.
This evening’s discussion will take a deep dive into issues spotlighted in a recent ProPublica investigation about how the Las Vegas criminal justice system uses $2 roadside drug kits, known as chemical field tests, to jail thousands of people annually — years after the city’s police crime lab flagged them for producing false positives.
Expert panelists include Judge Joe Bonaventure, Chief Judge of the Las Vegas Justice Court; defense attorney Laurie Diefenbach, a member of a Nevada committee looking for ways to challenge how chemical field tests are used to gain drug convictions; and attorney Rick Werstein, whose client was wrongfully convicted through one of these kits (a particle that tested positive for crack cocaine was later identified as food debris). ProPublica reporter Ryan Gabrielson will moderate the discussion.
Tune in tonight at 6:30 p.m. PST (9:30 p.m. EST) by following the event’s Facebook Live broadcast on ProPublica or the Las Vegas Review-Journal, and join the conversation online.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.