ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and well-organized administrative professional to join the New York headquarters as the Newsroom and Office Assistant. The Assistant will work in close partnership with the leadership (editor-in-chief, president, managing editor, vice-president/development, director of finance, executive chairman) of the organization as well as the newsroom staff, learning about all aspects of ProPublica’s work. He or she will play a critical role in preparing and managing schedules, interacting with staff and key stakeholders; maintaining a smooth-running and professional office and managing special projects.
The ideal candidate is required to have a strong interest in public affairs, at minimum a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and one to two years of experience in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in cooperative but self-directed manner are also critical. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. A demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications is essential.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Activities will include:
- Schedule and maintain executive calendars, make appointments and prepare for meetings.
- Provide general administrative support to the executive staff.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for the executive staff, as needed.
- To the extent time permits, assist newsroom staff with mailings, inquiries and special projects as needed.
- Provide oversight of ProPublica’s calendar, including timesheet and vacation coordination and tracking for newsroom and administrative staff.
- Manage office events, including staff development (brown-bags), annual holiday party and other celebrations.
- Collect corporate credit card receipts from journalists and attach to statements on a monthly basis.
- Act as office manager; including ordering supplies, handling invoices and maintaining relationships with vendors.
- Act as liaison with building management.
- Field phone calls on main line, responding to queries from readers and directing calls as needed. Provide back-up phone assistance to executives.
- Maintain paper and electronic filing systems.
- Review and distribute mail.
- Assist with new employee set-up, including managing security card system.
- Draft correspondence, administrative and other materials.
- Prepare expense and other internal reports.
- Act as back-up to director of information technology, performing backups of ProPublica’s servers and reviewing spam filters, etc. as needed.
To apply, submit a resume and a cover note explaining why you are the best fit for this job to [email protected].