We are seeking an executive producer to lead ProPublica Films. Our documentaries tell ProPublica stories — narrative investigations into abuses of power and failures of accountability — in an array of visual forms, from full-length documentaries to shorter digital videos. We are increasingly focused on our longer-form work, which has already been recognized with a variety of awards. You will be leading the way to take us even further. Working with a small team experienced in video journalism and documentary filmmaking, you will be overseeing the full cycle of work: from generating ideas to executing and distributing them.
A critical part of the job will be strategic: helping ProPublica find its place in the increasingly complex universe of streaming video and film distribution. As the head of our documentary film department, you will be part of ProPublica’s leadership team and will collaborate with people across our newsroom.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Extensive experience in documentary storytelling across a variety of formats and platforms;
- A track record of developing and shepherding projects to completion;
- Experience pitching and securing distribution for documentary projects;
- The ability to oversee several documentary projects simultaneously;
- Creative, innovative, visual sensibilities as well as high editorial standards and unassailable journalism ethics.
Key aspects of the job include:
- Identifying stories in the ProPublica newsroom, as well as originating ideas, that have the potential to develop into film, television or online/streaming projects;
- Overseeing a team of filmmakers who produce long-form documentaries;
- Working closely with the team to develop ideas, create sizzle reels and pitch decks;
- Helping establish a compelling visual style and narrative voice for each project;
- Providing feedback and guidance on scripts and drafts;
- Ensuring strong journalistic ethics and fact-checking processes throughout production;
- Collaborating with business team members to acquire production and post-production financing;
- Developing new relationships with production partners and securing distribution;
- Working with filmmakers and communications team members to coordinate publicity around film releases.
We ask you to submit:
- Links to 2-3 samples of your work, with explanations of your role in each project;
- Examples of documentaries you admire, with a few words on why;
- A brief memo sketching out your vision for shaping ProPublica’s work in film, TV and online/streaming video.
You can get an idea of the work we’ve done over the past two years here.
We know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and that they might not fit all the criteria above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.)
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
This position is full time, includes benefits and is based at our headquarters in New York.
You can apply using this form.
The deadline to apply has been extended to Oct. 18, 2019. We’ll start reviewing applications right after.