We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and detail-oriented HR professional in the role of human resources manager. A newly created position reporting to the vice president, Finance & Administration, this role will work closely with the finance and newsroom staff to provide critical HR support. This position is full-time with benefits and is based in our newsroom headquarters in New York City.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of progressive HR experience.
- Ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and build relationships in a dynamic and highly confidential environment.
- Confident communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Aptitude for handling multiple projects simultaneously and for adapting to changing priorities while meeting deadlines and maintaining accuracy in details.
- Recruitment experience with an emphasis on identifying and hiring a diverse group of talented individuals.
- Experience with HRIS platforms and proficiency with MS Office are required; experience with implementation of new HR technology is a plus.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Manage the new hire process, including employee on-boarding, orientation, and coordination with IT and operations team to ensure seamless transitions for new staff.
- Administer employee benefits and related compliance activities; act as liaison with vendors and third parties to address employee needs and concerns.
- Establish, maintain, and control employee records and files; update employee handbooks.
- Act as intermediary between the newsroom and administration to streamline and improve pre-employment operations and the recruitment/selection process; provide support for newsroom diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Participate in developing and enforcing HR policies and procedures by applying knowledge of employment laws such as EEOC, FMLA, and ADA.
- Research and stay apprised of employment laws in states where ProPublica operates.
- Work with finance manager to ensure that payroll is processed correctly and in accordance with employee information changes.
- Manage employee HR issues with sensitivity, discretion and expertise.
- Special HR projects as required.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we're taking active steps to meet this commitment. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To apply, submit a resume, salary requirements and cover letter explaining why you are the best fit for this job to [email protected].