ProPublica is seeking a versatile full-stack developer to advance the functionality and design of our website and platform-level projects. This is an independent contract position, running until the end of 2019.
You will be part of one of the most important and exciting newsrooms in the country. Every day will be a chance to make a difference in an environment where smart engineering and thoughtful design are integral to the mission.
This position is primarily responsible for collaborating with the platform team and our contract developers to improve our core site, implement new tools to support our expanding operations, and find useful, delightful ways that technology can help us do our jobs better.
The ideal candidate should have at least some of the following qualifications:
- The ability to take a request from initial specifications and designs to finished webpages.
- Experience prototyping interactivity, demonstrating ideas to stakeholders and incorporating their feedback.
- A track record of implementing and iterating webpages based on stakeholder feedback and user needs.
- Mastery of HTML, CSS and modern front-end web tools like Sass and jQuery.
- Command of a common back-end language such as PHP, Python or Ruby.
- Familiarity with common CMS templating systems such as Twig or Liquid.
- Experience working with Craft or WordPress is a plus.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Fill out this form to apply. The deadline is Oct. 11 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. David is ProPublica’s design director and the head of our platform team, and this position will report to him.
This position will be based in our newsroom headquarters in New York City. It is full-time temporary with a competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Want to know more about openings generally at ProPublica?
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. Here is where we list all of our jobs and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.