Update April 25, 2011: On Sunday night, a number of news outlets and WikiLeaks published a trove of classified documents on detainees at Guantanamo Bay. ProPublica has been reporting on Gitmo and the issues surrounding indefinite detention for more than two years. In October 2010, Dafna Linzer revealed how the Obama administration censored one federal judge's Gitmo decision that had questioned the government's evidence against a detainee.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
- Detainee Assessment: Uthman al-Rahim
- Justice Department Report on Waterboarding Memos, July 29, 2009
- John Yoo's Response to the 2009 Justice Dept. Report on Waterboarding Memos, Oct. 9, 2009
- Jay Bybee's Response to the 2009 Justice Dept. Report on Waterboarding Memos, Oct. 9, 2009
- Testimony by Attorney General Eric Holder (PDF), before the Senate Judiciary Committee, June 17, 2009
- Remarks on National Security, by President Barack Obama, on May 21, 2009
- Executive Order: Closure Of Guantanamo Detention Facilities, by President Barack Obama, Jan. 22, 2009
- Executive Order: Review of Detention Policy Options, by President Barack Obama, Jan. 22, 2009
- Combatant Status Review Tribunals/Administrative Review Boards, Department of Defense
- Summary of the High Value Terrorist Detainee Program (PDF), Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Sept. 6, 2006
- Biographies of High Value Detainees (PDF), Department of Defense
Podcast: Six years ago, the two-state agency pledged to reduce emissions from trucks and accepted $35 million in federal dollars to do it. Today, it has little to show for the money it spent. Writer Max Rivlin-Nadler takes ProPublica’s Joaquin Sapien inside his Village Voice investigation. Listen »