This unique data set contains 37,204 financial disclosure and conflict of interest records from university faculty members across the country from The National Institutes for Health and several public universities.
The NIH collects significant disclosures of financial relationships that could affect the design, conduct or reporting of the NIH-funded research. ProPublica then combined those disclosures with data about NIH grants, as the disclosure database did not originally include the researchers’ university. ProPublica requested additional information about outside income from at least one public university in all 50 states. About 20 state universities complied with our requests (list below). ProPublica then combined the NIH data with the state disclosure data to create a single database.
The data download includes one Excel file, where each row is a single disclosed conflict of interest or financial disclosure.
Financial disclosure and conflict of interest records included were received from:
- The National Institutes for Health
- University of California (all locations)
- The Office of the Illinois Secretary of State
- Arizona State University
- The University of Arizona
- The University of Florida Medical School
- The Georgia Institute of Technology
- The University of Kentucky
- Louisiana State University
- The University of Texas (all locations)
- The University of Utah