This dataset is ProPublica's premium version of the Medicare Part D data. We use it to publish our online lookup tool, Prescriber Checkup.
In 2016, the latest year for which our data is available, Medicare’s popular prescription-drug program served 42 million people and pays for more than one of every four prescriptions written nationwide. We've cleaned and analyzed Medicare Part D data each year from 2011-2016 to offer a detailed look at individual providers' prescribing habits. This page includes a representative sample of the data and the option to purchase the data from 2016, which is the most current year of data available; individual previous years can be purchased separately here.
Purchase of this data set includes five total files:
- A main provider file that includes overall information for each provider, including name, location and summary prescription tallies. This includes all providers who wrote at least 50 prescriptions (in Medicare Part D) for at least one drug in the covered calendar year. About 447,000 providers met that criteria.
- A breakdown of the drugs prescribed by each provider.
- A lookup file for drugs to determine if they fall into specific categories, including antibiotics, Beers list drugs, and more.
- A summary file of all drugs dispensed in Medicare Part D in the covered calendar year, based on the number of fills, including the respective fill rank and cost rank in each state.
- Rankings for drugs within each specialty and state.
To purchase previous years, browse the archived years.