This dataset is ProPublica's premium version of the Medicare Part D data for 2014. Medicare’s popular prescription-drug program serves 41 million people and pays for more than one of every four prescriptions written nationwide. We've cleaned and analyzed Medicare Part D data from 2014 to offer a detailed look at individual providers' prescribing habits. There are five total files:
- A main provider file that includes overall information for each provider, including name, location and summary prescription tallies. This includes all providers who wrote at least 50 prescriptions for at least one drug in 2014. All totals refer only to Part D.
- A breakdown of the drugs prescribed by each provider.
- A lookup file for drugs to determine if they fall into specific categories, including antibiotics, Beers list drugs, and more.
- A summary file of all drugs dispensed in Medicare Part D in 2014, based on the number of fills, including the respective fill rank and cost rank in each state.
- Rankings for drugs within each specialty and state.
Optional add-ons include:
- Custom runs by location, drug, or provider ID
- Open Payments/NPI number crosswalk for linking prescribing data to Dollars for Docs data