Photo of the Day: Oil Ashore
With its one-month anniversary passed, the Gulf oil spill has reached the shoreline, and it isn't pretty. Today's photo depicts the onshore efforts of a BP cleanup crew as it took shovels and garbage bags to the shores of Port Fourchon, La. BP CEO Tony Hayward visited the beach on Monday with reporters in tow and said BP was committed to cleaning up "every last drop." But with 32 national wildlife refuges at risk of being affected by the BP oil spill, officials from Texas to Florida are worried that cleanup, if possible, may come too late.
Check out our slideshow of photos from the Gulf oil spill, which we update daily.
The BP oil disaster in the Gulf has had untold health, economic and environmental effects.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma