Photo of the Day: Oil Ashore
With its one-month anniversary passed, the Gulf oil spill has reached the shoreline, and it isn't pretty. Today's photo depicts the onshore efforts of a BP cleanup crew as it took shovels and garbage bags to the shores of Port Fourchon, La. BP CEO Tony Hayward visited the beach on Monday with reporters in tow and said BP was committed to cleaning up "every last drop." But with 32 national wildlife refuges at risk of being affected by the BP oil spill, officials from Texas to Florida are worried that cleanup, if possible, may come too late.
Check out our slideshow of photos from the Gulf oil spill, which we update daily.
The BP oil disaster in the Gulf has had untold health, economic and environmental effects.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison