Stimulus Spending Likely to Make Administration’s Goal
The federal government, which disputes that it isn’t spending Recovery Act money fast enough, is on pace to have 70 percent of the stimulus package out the door by the end of September.
The Obama administration is on track to reach a self-imposed stimulus milestone: spending 70 percent of Recovery Act money by the end of September.
The administration set the goal in February, on the first anniversary of the bill. According to our Stimulus Progress Bar that tracks spending, 62 percent of stimulus money has gone out the door, putting $490 billion into the economy. If the administration keeps spending at the same rate it has so far this year -- both in terms of direct spending and tax cuts -- it should easily meet the goal.
Last week, the White House released a blog post addressing criticism that more money hasn't gone out the door. Since two-thirds of stimulus money is tax cuts and unemployment checks -- which have already been allocated -- the post explained that the funds "aren't 'unspent' ... they just haven't been paid out yet." Got that?
Speed has been a priority for the stimulus as the administration tries to counter the highest unemployment rates since the early 1980s. The White House Council of Economic Advisers recently estimated that the stimulus has added 2.5 million to 3.6 million jobs to the economy.
Officials have struggled to spend the nearly $800 billion stimulus package quickly and effectively.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma