ProPublica Business Coverage Wins 5 Honors in SABEW Contest
The Society of American Business Editors and Writers (SABEW) announced today that ProPublica had won five honors in its 19th Best in Business competition, which recognizes excellence in business journalism across all news platforms. All five came in SABEW's Division 1, honoring sites with fewer than 2.5 million unique visitors per month.
For their “Overdose” series on the dangers of acetaminophen, T. Christian Miller and Jeff Gerth won the digital explanatory category.
Jesse Eisinger’s “The Trade” columns, appearing both on ProPublica’s site and in The New York Times, won the digital commentary category for the third year in a row.
A.C. Thompson and Jonathan Jones won the digital feature award for “Life and Death in Assisted Living,” which chronicled the last months of an elderly woman’s life in an assisted-living facility, and the neglect, cover up, and incompetence behind the scenes.
Paul Kiel’s “Debt Inc.”series, on the inner workings of the payday lending industry, was a finalist in both the digital investigative and digital explanatory categories.
See a list of all of the SABEW Best in Business winners here.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange