MuckReads Podcast: The Militarization of American Police Forces
For this week’s MuckReads podcast, ProPublica’s Justin Elliott spoke to the Center for Investigative Reporting’s G.W. Schulz about his reporting on the militarization of local police forces in the U.S. Andrew Becker and Schulz have been the chief reporters on the series, “America’s War Within,” which has shown how federal grants have led local law enforcement agencies to stockpile high-tech combat gear without much oversight.
Elliott wanted to go behind the scenes to find out how the project got started, how they obtained and analyzed the data, their findings and ultimately, who should be held accountable for how the money is spent.
If you have a watchdog reporting story that you would like to share, tweet it using the hashtag #muckreads or email it to email@example.com.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups