MuckReads Podcast: The Militarization of American Police Forces
For this week’s MuckReads podcast, ProPublica’s Justin Elliott spoke to the Center for Investigative Reporting’s G.W. Schulz about his reporting on the militarization of local police forces in the U.S. Andrew Becker and Schulz have been the chief reporters on the series, “America’s War Within,” which has shown how federal grants have led local law enforcement agencies to stockpile high-tech combat gear without much oversight.
Elliott wanted to go behind the scenes to find out how the project got started, how they obtained and analyzed the data, their findings and ultimately, who should be held accountable for how the money is spent.
If you have a watchdog reporting story that you would like to share, tweet it using the hashtag #muckreads or email it to email@example.com.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- Insta-Loophole: In Florida, High-Cost Lender Skirts the Law