MuckReads Podcast: The Militarization of American Police Forces
For this week’s MuckReads podcast, ProPublica’s Justin Elliott spoke to the Center for Investigative Reporting’s G.W. Schulz about his reporting on the militarization of local police forces in the U.S. Andrew Becker and Schulz have been the chief reporters on the series, “America’s War Within,” which has shown how federal grants have led local law enforcement agencies to stockpile high-tech combat gear without much oversight.
Elliott wanted to go behind the scenes to find out how the project got started, how they obtained and analyzed the data, their findings and ultimately, who should be held accountable for how the money is spent.
If you have a watchdog reporting story that you would like to share, tweet it using the hashtag #muckreads or email it to email@example.com.
Our Hottest Stories
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Coming Monday: Revamped Podcast Launches With Guest Jim Dwyer
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Labor Department Intervenes on Behalf of Hearst Interns
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison