Podcast: ProPublica Explores Patient Safety
When ProPublica's Marshall Allen, Olga Pierce and Blair Hickman set out to explore patient safety issues for a new series, they decided early on that creating a Facebook community where patients, providers, readers and even other reporters could join the conversation would play a crucial role.
Their goal was simple: to find out why so many patients are suffering harm and to highlight the best ways to solve this problem.
Fifteen-hundred members later, the Facebook group has become a unique resource hub and has generated discussions on why patient harm is one of the leading causes of death in the country, the top patient safety challenges medical providers face, and more.
Allen, Pierce and Hickman join us in the “Storage Closet Studio” to explain how this series came about, how incorporating community and crowdsourcing efforts long before publishing a traditional story has helped power their reporting, and what they hope to accomplish going forward.
Have You Been Harmed in a Medical Facility? Share Your Story
Providers: Tell Us What You Know About Patient Safety
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Lobbyists Bidding to Block Government Regs Set Sights on Secretive White House Office
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Insta-Loophole: In Florida, High-Cost Lender Skirts the Law