Podcast: ProPublica Explores Patient Safety
When ProPublica's Marshall Allen, Olga Pierce and Blair Hickman set out to explore patient safety issues for a new series, they decided early on that creating a Facebook community where patients, providers, readers and even other reporters could join the conversation would play a crucial role.
Their goal was simple: to find out why so many patients are suffering harm and to highlight the best ways to solve this problem.
Fifteen-hundred members later, the Facebook group has become a unique resource hub and has generated discussions on why patient harm is one of the leading causes of death in the country, the top patient safety challenges medical providers face, and more.
Allen, Pierce and Hickman join us in the “Storage Closet Studio” to explain how this series came about, how incorporating community and crowdsourcing efforts long before publishing a traditional story has helped power their reporting, and what they hope to accomplish going forward.
Have You Been Harmed in a Medical Facility? Share Your Story
Providers: Tell Us What You Know About Patient Safety
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter