Podcast: ProPublica Explores Patient Safety
When ProPublica's Marshall Allen, Olga Pierce and Blair Hickman set out to explore patient safety issues for a new series, they decided early on that creating a Facebook community where patients, providers, readers and even other reporters could join the conversation would play a crucial role.
Their goal was simple: to find out why so many patients are suffering harm and to highlight the best ways to solve this problem.
Fifteen-hundred members later, the Facebook group has become a unique resource hub and has generated discussions on why patient harm is one of the leading causes of death in the country, the top patient safety challenges medical providers face, and more.
Allen, Pierce and Hickman join us in the “Storage Closet Studio” to explain how this series came about, how incorporating community and crowdsourcing efforts long before publishing a traditional story has helped power their reporting, and what they hope to accomplish going forward.
Have You Been Harmed in a Medical Facility? Share Your Story
Providers: Tell Us What You Know About Patient Safety
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison