Behold the TARP Map!
Where is all that bailout money going? We’ve been keeping a running tally of the institutions receiving funds from the Treasury Department (as of right now, at least $241.84 billion has been committed). And now you can see where those companies are headquartered:
Each marker represents a financial institution (so far, it’s AIG and 124 banks), and the size of that marker represents the government’s investment. Here is a full-size version of the map.
As you can see, so far the bailout participants are mainly bunched in the coastal states, with Ohio and Indiana the notable exceptions.
We’ll continue to update our complete tally and map as institutions announce their participation. You can track those additions with our special RSS bailout feed. We also have a bailout watch widget that can be embedded on your site or blog.
Our Hottest Stories
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Segregation Now
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups