Behold the TARP Map!
Where is all that bailout money going? We’ve been keeping a running tally of the institutions receiving funds from the Treasury Department (as of right now, at least $241.84 billion has been committed). And now you can see where those companies are headquartered:
Each marker represents a financial institution (so far, it’s AIG and 124 banks), and the size of that marker represents the government’s investment. Here is a full-size version of the map.
As you can see, so far the bailout participants are mainly bunched in the coastal states, with Ohio and Indiana the notable exceptions.
We’ll continue to update our complete tally and map as institutions announce their participation. You can track those additions with our special RSS bailout feed. We also have a bailout watch widget that can be embedded on your site or blog.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme