Behold the TARP Map!
Where is all that bailout money going? We’ve been keeping a running tally of the institutions receiving funds from the Treasury Department (as of right now, at least $241.84 billion has been committed). And now you can see where those companies are headquartered:
Each marker represents a financial institution (so far, it’s AIG and 124 banks), and the size of that marker represents the government’s investment. Here is a full-size version of the map.
As you can see, so far the bailout participants are mainly bunched in the coastal states, with Ohio and Indiana the notable exceptions.
We’ll continue to update our complete tally and map as institutions announce their participation. You can track those additions with our special RSS bailout feed. We also have a bailout watch widget that can be embedded on your site or blog.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Judge Tosses Retaliation Lawsuit by Fired N.Y. Fed Examiner