Behold the TARP Map!
Where is all that bailout money going? We’ve been keeping a running tally of the institutions receiving funds from the Treasury Department (as of right now, at least $241.84 billion has been committed). And now you can see where those companies are headquartered:
Each marker represents a financial institution (so far, it’s AIG and 124 banks), and the size of that marker represents the government’s investment. Here is a full-size version of the map.
As you can see, so far the bailout participants are mainly bunched in the coastal states, with Ohio and Indiana the notable exceptions.
We’ll continue to update our complete tally and map as institutions announce their participation. You can track those additions with our special RSS bailout feed. We also have a bailout watch widget that can be embedded on your site or blog.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments