Morning Cup of Stimulus: All Aboard! Not Exactly
This is the latest from our new stimulus blog.
Lots of stuff this morning: Vice President and longtime rail commuter Joe Biden will be at Washington's Union Station at noon to announce stimulus funding for Amtrak. And he and the president will issue regulations on spending no-nos. "A little hint," Biden told a meeting of state officials yesterday. "No swimming pools in this money; a few other things."
The meeting brought state budget officers and auditors to the White House to talk about accountability for the stimulus. The theme: Don't waste it.
Th Energy Department released money for states to help residents weatherize their homes, lower their heating bills and invest in alternative energy. And the Transportation Department announced $12 million for two Pittsburgh-area airports.
Meanwhile, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi continued to bat down flames over the idea of a second stimulus while some Republican governors continued to reject the first one. Texas Gov. Rick Perry officially said no thanks to $555 million to expand unemployment benefits. And the South Carolina legislature moved to overrule its governor, who vowed to turn down nearly a quarter of his state's stimulus share.
Project of the day: In case you missed our earlier post, 22 concrete toilets at the Mark Twain National Forest.
Officials have struggled to spend the nearly $800 billion stimulus package quickly and effectively.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Lobbyists Bidding to Block Government Regs Set Sights on Secretive White House Office
- Insta-Loophole: In Florida, High-Cost Lender Skirts the Law