Quick Picks: Murtha’s Research Center and Whistle-Blowers
Quick Picks focuses on a select few of the day’s stories from “Breaking on the Web.”
- A Pennsylvania defense research center, forged by Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) over a decade ago, funneled “significant” amounts of federal dollars to private firms that supported Murtha’s campaigns, according to documents obtained by the Washington Post. The Electro-Optics center regularly consulted with PMA Group, a lobbying firm with Murtha ties, to devise strategies for getting its projects funded.
- Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) says President Obama last week betrayed whistle-blowers who root out corruption and waste. A provision in the appropriations bill would have extended protections, but Obama said in a signing statement that it unlawfully limits his ability to control the flow of executive branch information to Congress.
Check out more of our roundup of the best investigative stories around the Web.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- New York State to Pay Millions in Wrongful Conviction Case