Quick Picks: Murtha’s Research Center and Whistle-Blowers
Quick Picks focuses on a select few of the day’s stories from “Breaking on the Web.”
- A Pennsylvania defense research center, forged by Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) over a decade ago, funneled “significant” amounts of federal dollars to private firms that supported Murtha’s campaigns, according to documents obtained by the Washington Post. The Electro-Optics center regularly consulted with PMA Group, a lobbying firm with Murtha ties, to devise strategies for getting its projects funded.
- Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) says President Obama last week betrayed whistle-blowers who root out corruption and waste. A provision in the appropriations bill would have extended protections, but Obama said in a signing statement that it unlawfully limits his ability to control the flow of executive branch information to Congress.
Check out more of our roundup of the best investigative stories around the Web.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange