How David Simon Turned Real Life Into Reel Life
Join ProPublica this Tuesday, September 18 at 8:30pm Eastern for a free public discussion with Treme creators David Simon and Eric Overmyer about how they fictionalized reporting by A. C. Thompson into a key storyline in the 3rd season of the acclaimed HBO show.
The talk will take place at New York University’s Cantor Film Center and it will be moderated by Joe Pichirallo, the chair of NYU’s Undergraduate Film & Television program and a former journalist, film producer and studio executive.
In 2008, Thompson began looking into acts of vigilantism against African Americans and the mysterious death of a man whose remains were burned in a car, possibly by members of the New Orleans Police Department. Simon and Overmyer have incorporated elements of Thompson’s work (and our collaborative Law & Disorder series) into the new season of Treme and the group will talk about the process of turning those tragic incidents into a dramatic narrative.
The event is free and open to the public, but seats are limited and available only on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit our Facebook event page for more information and let us know if you plan to attend.
If you are not familiar with Treme, you can read a backgrounder on the program here and watch a trailer for the new season below.
Live stream: Real to Reel
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back