How You Can Use Our ER Wait Watcher App
When the need for care is urgent, time can be the most important metric to measure. Our new ER Wait Watcher app does just that, telling you how long you'll have to wait at nearby emergency rooms. This makes it a valuable tool not just for potential patients, but also for other journalists.
Like all of ProPublica’s work, this app is built in the hopes that reporters everywhere will find their local story in it, and push that important story into their communities.
Specific features you can put to work for your own stories:
Waiting times: Our data, from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, includes averages for:
- how long patients tend to wait before seeing a doctor
- how long they spend in the ER before being sent home or admitted to the hospital
- how many leave without being seen at all
If hospitals abound in your area, for example, readers might be surprised to see that traveling farther is likely to get them in front of a doctor sooner because of long wait times.
Drive times: Our app factors that in, with real-time data from Google, making it easy to see the average total time until patients get care.
Patient satisfaction scores: The closest hospital – or even the fastest one, according to our data – may not be the highest rated.
Hospital participation: All data is reported voluntarily by hospitals, which have a financial incentive to participate. If your hospital isn’t reporting its data: Why not? That might just be its own story.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
- ProPublica Hires Senior Reporter to Investigate Privacy Issues
- ProPublica Files Motion to Release Court Rulings Authorizing NSA Phone Surveillance
- Nicole Collins Bronzan Named As ProPublica’s New Director of Communications
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups