Moyers & Company Report on the New Temp Economy
This year, ProPublica reporter Michael Grabell has been working on an investigative series called “Temp Land: Working in the New Economy.” His feature piece, co-published with Time, showed how temporary positions have become a mainstay of the US economy, often replacing good blue-collar jobs and benefits with permanent temp work. Another story, done in conjunction with Marketplace, revealed the underworld of labor brokers, known has “raiteros,” who recruit temps and effectively act as agents for the workers.
In a new report, Bill Moyers & Company producer Karla Murthy spoke with Grabell and visited members of the Chicago Workers Collaborative to show how some workers have suffered injuries on their jobs, but are reluctant to file a worker’s comp claim for fear of being rejected for future assignments.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange