New Roles For ProPublica’s Leadership
ProPublica announced today that CEO and editor-in-chief Paul Steiger will become its executive chairman effective January 1, 2013. Succeeding Steiger as editor-in-chief will be Stephen Engelberg, our current managing editor. Richard Tofel, who is ProPublica’s general manager, will become president, and both Tofel and Engelberg will serve as co-chief executive officers.
In a press release announcing the changes, ProPublica Chairman Herbert Sandler said, “ProPublica became a reality because of the vision and leadership of Paul Steiger. The Board is thrilled that Paul will continue to help guide ProPublica as an active executive chairman beginning in 2013 and for what we hope will be many years to come. On Paul’s strong recommendation, the Board is placing the day-to-day management of ProPublica in the hands of Dick Tofel and Steve Engelberg, two talented managers who have been with ProPublica from the beginning and have already contributed enormously to its success. We are very excited about what lies ahead.”
Steiger, who before founding ProPublica was the managing editor of the Wall Street Journal, will remain actively involved in working with ProPublica on strategic issues, development and consulting with management on business and editorial issues. Under his leadership, we’ve won two Pulitzer Prizes, including the first ever awarded to a body of work that did not appear in print.
“I know that Steve Engelberg’s editorial mastery and Dick Tofel’s business acumen are just the combination to build on ProPublica’s early successes and create a sustainable institution critical to American journalism’s future,” said Steiger.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back