ProPublica Finalists Named in Business and Data Journalism Awards
The UCLA Anderson School of Management has announced that four ProPublica projects are finalists for its 2014 Gerald Loeb Awards, one of the most prestigious honors in business journalism:
"Life and Death in Assisted Living" - A.C. Thompson, Jonathan Jones and Hanna Trudo, ProPublica; Carl Byker, Katie Taber and Kate McMahon, Frontline
Personal Finance Category
"Debt Inc." - Paul Kiel, ProPublica and Mitchell Hartman, Marketplace
The finalists were chosen from more than 480 entries submitted this year. Winners in the 14 categories will be announced during the Loeb Awards banquet on June 24.
ProPublica also had 13 finalists in the Global Editors Network's Data Journalism Awards, more than any other newsroom, which included individual portfolios from news applications developers Al Shaw and Lena Groeger, as well as some of our most popular projects, including Dollars for Docs, ER Wait Watcher and China's Memory Hole.
This year's Data Journalism Award winners will be announced on June 12 during the DJA Ceremony at the GEN Summit 2014. Congratulations to all the finalists for both awards.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange