Podcast: David Simon, A.C. Thompson Talk About Fictionalizing a Real Life Investigation
On Sept. 18, David Simon and his Treme co-creater/executive producer Eric Overmyer joined our A.C. Thompson and New York University's Joe Pichirallo for a conversation about how they turned Thompson's investigative work into a story line for the new season of the HBO show.
We excerpted the talk for this podcast. The group discussed how Simon and Overmyer first met Thompson over dinner, why they modeled a new cast member after Thompson but didn't use his name for the character, how it's difficult to assign motivation to a real-life person and how Thompson helped the creative duo keep the "L. P. Everett" character honest. They also veered off on riffs about "the copy desk nightmare" and their hardcore/metal musical choices.
Our Hottest Stories
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back