Tom Detzel Discusses the Power of Collaborative Journalism on the ProPublica Podcast
On Oct., 18, ProPublica released “Dollars for Docs” a partnership between ProPublica, NPR, the PBS Nightly Business Report, the Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe and Consumer Reports. This week, we sat down with Senior Editor Tom Detzel who coordinated the multilateral investigation to discuss the power of collaborative journalism.
When asked how the partners decided which aspects they of the story they were going to cover, Detzel said, “It’s better to let good journalists just be good journalists. They are really smart and talented people that we are working with and we don’t need to tell them what the story is.” Detzel went on to explain his role during the project and why the collaboration contributed to better reporting and a better product overall.
Articles related to this podcast:
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments