We are no longer accepting applications for this position. See available positions here.
ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and well-organized administrative professional to join the ProPublica Illinois headquarters in Chicago as the office manager.
This is an exciting opportunity to help establish a new office for a growing nonprofit news organization. The office manager will work in close partnership with the ProPublica Illinois editor-in-chief and newsroom staff, as well as with ProPublica’s administrative staff in New York. He or she will play a critical role in establishing an efficient, smooth-running operation at our Chicago office, interacting with staff and key stakeholders and managing special projects.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of one to two years’ experience in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in a cooperative but self-directed manner are also critical. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. A demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications is essential. Experience working with remotely located or highly mobile staff is a plus.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Act as office manager; including ordering office equipment and supplies, handling invoices, and maintaining relationships with vendors
- Act as liaison with building management and shared-office operations, including managing security card and key access, reviewing and distributing mail to staff, identifying and reporting issues in both private and public spaces
- Field phone calls on main line, responding to queries from readers and directing calls as needed
- Assist with new employee onboarding and basic HR support, such as timesheet and vacation tracking for newsroom and administrative staff
- Assist newsroom staff with mailings, inquiries and special projects as needed
- Efficiently manage administrative issues within the Chicago office and coordinate with New York-based administrative staff to solve problems, identify efficiencies and ensure smooth operation of back-office functions
- Prepare expense and other internal reports as requested by New York-based finance staff
- Support the director of information technology, assisting with basic networking tasks, performing backups, reviewing spam filters, etc. as needed
- Act as on-site administrator for research tools, with support of the New York-based research editor
- Provide occasional assistance on travel arrangements for company directors and executives as needed
- Provide general administrative assistance as needed
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our office is located in the Loop.
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
To apply, submit your application through this form before June 19, 2016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.