Stephen Engelberg, Editor-in-Chief
Stephen Engelberg was the founding managing editor of ProPublica from 2008–2012, and became editor-in-chief on January 1, 2013. He came to ProPublica from The Oregonian in Portland, where he had been a managing editor since 2002. Before joining The Oregonian, Mr. Engelberg worked for The New York Times for 18 years, including stints in Washington, D.C., and Warsaw, Poland, as well as in New York. He is a member of the Pulitzer Prize Board.
Richard Tofel, President
Richard Tofel was the founding general manager of ProPublica from 2007–2012, and became president on January 1, 2013. He has responsibility for all of ProPublica’s non-journalism operations, including communications, legal, development, finance and budgeting, and human resources. He was formerly the assistant publisher of The Wall Street Journal and, earlier, an assistant managing editor of the paper, vice president, corporate communications for Dow Jones & Company, and an assistant general counsel of Dow Jones.
Robin Fields, Managing Editor
Robin Fields became managing editor of ProPublica on January 1, 2013. She has overseen projects on political dark money, injection wells, the military’s handling of traumatic brain injuries, police violence in post-Katrina New Orleans, cell tower deaths, and the nation’s troubled system of death investigations. Work she has edited has twice been honored with George Polk Awards, as well as awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and IRE. As a reporter, Fields was a finalist for a National Magazine Award for her work on dialysis, which was also honored by IRE and the Society of Professional Journalists and received the Gannett Foundation Award for Innovative Investigative Journalism.
Charles Ornstein, Managing Editor, Local
Charles Ornstein oversees the Local Reporting Network, as well as ProPublica offices in the Midwest, the South, the Southwest and a unit operated with The Texas Tribune. Projects he has worked on as both a reporter and editor have been recognized with the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, as well as other national journalism awards. From 2008 to 2017, he was a senior reporter covering health care and the pharmaceutical industry.
Ragan Rhyne, Senior Vice President, Development
Ragan Rhyne is ProPublica's senior vice president, development. With more than 15 years of nonprofit executive experience, Rhyne has effectively developed programs and built relationships for global, national and regional institutions. She most recently served as senior director of development and strategic programming for the International Center of Photography, where she steered organizational and fundraising strategy, managed a portfolio of major donors, and directed special events.
Celeste LeCompte, Vice President of Strategy & Operations
Celeste LeCompte is the vice president of strategy and operations at ProPublica, focused on revenue, partnerships and other strategic initiatives. In her previous roles, she has worked on product development, content strategy and editorial management for numerous media companies, nonprofits and corporate clients.
Scott Klein, Deputy Managing Editor
Scott Klein directs a team of journalist/programmers building large interactive software projects that tell journalistic stories, and that make complex national statistics relevant to readers and their communities. Scott is also co-founder of DocumentCloud, a two-time recipient of the Knight News Challenge.
Ginger Thompson, Chief of Correspondents
Ginger Thompson is ProPublica's chief of correspondents. In addition to reporting and writing, Ginger Thompson oversees ProPublica’s staff development and recruitment efforts. She joined ProPublica from The New York Times in 2014. She has spent much of her career covering Latin America, and her work has won numerous awards.
Eric Umansky, Deputy Managing Editor
Eric Umansky is a deputy managing editor of ProPublica, where he has overseen two Pulitzer Prize-winning projects. Most recently, a series he edited on NYPD abuse of “nuisance abatement” laws won the Pultizer Gold Medal for Public Service. He is also a co-founder of Document Cloud.
Tracy Weber, Deputy Managing Editor
Tracy Weber helps oversee and maximize projects across the newsroom. Prior to this role, as a senior editor, she guided landmark projects on family separation, jailhouse informants, the dismantling of workers’ compensation and a Mexican massacre touched off by the Drug Enforcement Administration, among others. Work she edited has earned virtually every significant honor in journalism, including the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting. As a reporter at the Los Angeles Times, Weber won the Pulitzer Prize for public service in 2005 and was a finalist for the same award at ProPublica in 2010.
Stephanie Little, Vice President, Finance & Administration
Stephanie Little oversees all financial activities for the organization, including financial planning, management and analysis. She also directs human resources policy and benefits administration and brings experience in nonprofit management to the role. Prior to joining ProPublica in March 2016, as director of finance and human resources, her career has spanned such prestigious organizations as The Metropolitan Opera and The New York Times. She holds an MBA in finance and media studies from Fordham University and was named a 92Y Women in Power Fellow in 2018.
Jeremy Kutner, General Counsel
Jeremy Kutner is general counsel at ProPublica, where he provides legal advice on the organization’s full range of activities, with emphasis on its newsroom. He has litigated cases involving libel, freedom of information laws, subpoenas seeking testimony from reporters about sources, and access to sealed documents. Prior to joining ProPublica as deputy general counsel in 2018, Kutner practiced media law at Ballard Spahr (formerly Levine, Sullivan, Koch & Schulz), and was a First Amendment Fellow at The New York Times.
Diego Sorbara, Assistant Managing Editor
Diego Sorbara is an assistant managing editor at ProPublica. He helps ensure the consistency and quality of the newsroom’s work and oversees freelance reporting expenditures and production. Sorbara joined ProPublica in 2018 as the newsroom's first standards editor after 10 years at The New York Times.
Alexandra Zayas, Assistant Managing Editor
Alexandra Zayas is an assistant managing editor at ProPublica, running a team of reporters and coordinating across the newsroom to enhance its special projects. She has edited award-winning work here, and as an investigative reporter at the Tampa Bay Times, was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.
- Deputy Editor, Local: Sarah Blustain
- Senior Editors: Susan Carroll, Henri Cauvin, Meg Marco, T. Christian Miller, Michael Mishak, Marilyn Thompson, Nick Varchaver and Jesse Eisinger
- Editor at Large: Tim Golden
- Design Director: David Sleight
- Art Director: Lisa Larson-Walker
- Talent Development Director: Talia Buford
- Editorial Experience Designers: Allen Tan and Rob Weychert
- Creative Story Technologist: Agnes Chang
- Visuals Editors: Jillian Kumagai and Andrea Wise
- Social Media and Platforms Editor: Kengo Tsutsumi
- Assistant Editor, Audience: Jan Byun and Karim Doumar
- Audience Editor, News, Social and Weekends: Chris Morran
- Newsletter Editor: Ruth Baron
- Reporter, Newsletters: Logan Jaffe
- Visual Producer: Maya Eliahou
- Engagement Editor and Reporter: Ariana Tobin
- Engagement Reporters: Adriana Gallardo, Maryam Jameel, Maya Miller, Beena Raghavendran and Erin Smith
- Senior Reporters: David Armstrong, Ken Armstrong, James Bandler, Patricia Callahan, Pamela Colloff, Renee Dudley, Peter Elkind, Jack Gillum, Abrahm Lustgarten, Alec MacGillis, Sebastian Rotella and A.C. Thompson
- Reporters: Marshall Allen, Isaac Arnsdorf, Neil Bedi, Caroline Chen, Jenny Deam, Lydia DePillis, Justin Elliott, Robert Faturechi, Ryan Gabrielson, Michael Grabell, Paul Kiel, Ava Kofman, Dara Lind, J. David McSwane, Jake Pearson, Lizzie Presser, Megan Rose, Topher Sanders, Joaquin Sapien, Lisa Song, Mike Spies, Heather Vogell, Annie Waldman, Elizabeth Weil and Bernice Yeung
- Research Editor: Lynn Dombek
- Senior Research Reporter: Doris Burke
- Research Reporters: Kirsten Berg, Mariam Elba and Alex Mierjeski
- Copy Editors: Colleen Barry and Neil deMause
- Executive Producer, Video: Almudena Toral
- Visual Investigations Producer: Lucas Waldron
- Video Journalists: Katie Campbell, Mauricio Rodríguez Pons and Nadia Sussman
- Video Editor: Joseph Singer
- Data Editor: Ryann Grochowski Jones
- News Applications Editor: Ken Schwencke
- Deputy Data Editor: Hannah Fresques
- Deputy Editors, News Apps: Lena V. Groeger and Al Shaw
- News Applications Developers: Ash Ngu, Andrea Suozzo, Moiz Syed, Mike Tigas, Derek Willis and Lylla Younes
- Senior Data Reporter: Jeff Ernsthausen
- Data Reporters: Sophie Chou, Haru Coryne, Irena Hwang, Agnel Philip and Ellis Simani
- Computational Journalist: Jeff Kao
- Scripps Howard Journalism Fellow: Mollie Simon
Midwest News Staff
- Midwest Editor: Louise Kiernan
- Deputy Midwest Editor: Steve Mills
- Reporters: Tony Briscoe, Anna Clark, Jodi S. Cohen, Vernal Coleman, Mick Dumke, Duaa Eldeib, Jeremy Kohler, Megan O’Matz and Melissa Sanchez
- Engagement Reporter: Logan Jaffe
South News Staff
- South Editor: Mara Shalhoup
- Reporters: Max Blau, Doug Bock Clark, Aliyya Swaby and Seth Freed Wessler
Southwest News Staff
Texas Tribune Initiative News Staff
- Texas Editor: Zahira Torres
- Reporters: Kiah Collier, Vianna Davila, Lomi Kriel, Jeremy Schwartz and Perla Trevizo
- Data Reporter: Ren Larson
- Research Reporter: Lexi Churchill
- Engagement Reporter: Sally Beauvais
- Director of Development: Heather Troup
- Director of Development for Local Initiatives: Jane Nicholson
- Director of Online Fundraising and Outreach: Jill Shepherd
- Development Manager: Tina Le
- Assistant Director of Individual Giving: Tova Genesen
- Director of Marketing: Cynthia Gordy Giwa
- Public Relations Director: Alexis Stephens
- Human Resources Director: Liz Sharp
- Manager, Information Technology and Operations: Nicholas Lanese
- Assistant Director of Communications, Local Initiatives: Alissandra Calderon
- Events Associate: Simon Tran
- Director of Information Technology and Systems: Jim Norris
- Senior Product Developer: Frank Sharpe
- Product Developer: Jaya Subrahmanyan
- Finance Manager: Cindy De La Cruz
- Associate Finance Manager: Melissa Rosado
- Finance and Human Resources Associate: Myron Avant
- Office Manager, New York: Joanna Kelly
- Office Assistant, Midwest: Liz Barr