Dollars for Docs On The Media
In the latest episode of On The Media, Bob Garfield sat down with Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber to talk about how ProPublica’s Dollars for Docs project was a precursor to the implementation of the Physician Payment Sunshine Act. Dollars for Docs tracked how much a dozen drug companies were paying doctors to promote their drugs. Next year, as part of the health care reform law, drug and medical device manufacturers will be required to publicly report gifts made to physicians.
The trio talked about how much pharmaceutical companies are spending, how ProPublica’s Dan Nguyen was able to obtain the data and build the database, whether pharma behavior has changed since the law was passed, potential loopholes in the law, and how reporters can use the new database, among other issues. Listen to the segment here.
And Curtis Brainard of the Columbia Journalism Review offered an overview of the project and notes how it served as a resource for more than 100 other news organizations to produce related stories.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Expands Its Data Sales Business, Announces New Partnerships With Investigative Reporters and Editors and New York Daily News
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.