Dollars for Docs On The Media
In the latest episode of On The Media, Bob Garfield sat down with Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber to talk about how ProPublica’s Dollars for Docs project was a precursor to the implementation of the Physician Payment Sunshine Act. Dollars for Docs tracked how much a dozen drug companies were paying doctors to promote their drugs. Next year, as part of the health care reform law, drug and medical device manufacturers will be required to publicly report gifts made to physicians.
The trio talked about how much pharmaceutical companies are spending, how ProPublica’s Dan Nguyen was able to obtain the data and build the database, whether pharma behavior has changed since the law was passed, potential loopholes in the law, and how reporters can use the new database, among other issues. Listen to the segment here.
And Curtis Brainard of the Columbia Journalism Review offered an overview of the project and notes how it served as a resource for more than 100 other news organizations to produce related stories.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.