How David Simon Turned Real Life Into Reel Life
Join ProPublica this Tuesday, September 18 at 8:30pm Eastern for a free public discussion with Treme creators David Simon and Eric Overmyer about how they fictionalized reporting by A. C. Thompson into a key storyline in the 3rd season of the acclaimed HBO show.
The talk will take place at New York University’s Cantor Film Center and it will be moderated by Joe Pichirallo, the chair of NYU’s Undergraduate Film & Television program and a former journalist, film producer and studio executive.
In 2008, Thompson began looking into acts of vigilantism against African Americans and the mysterious death of a man whose remains were burned in a car, possibly by members of the New Orleans Police Department. Simon and Overmyer have incorporated elements of Thompson’s work (and our collaborative Law & Disorder series) into the new season of Treme and the group will talk about the process of turning those tragic incidents into a dramatic narrative.
The event is free and open to the public, but seats are limited and available only on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit our Facebook event page for more information and let us know if you plan to attend.
If you are not familiar with Treme, you can read a backgrounder on the program here and watch a trailer for the new season below.
Live stream: Real to Reel
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.