How David Simon Turned Real Life Into Reel Life
Join ProPublica this Tuesday, September 18 at 8:30pm Eastern for a free public discussion with Treme creators David Simon and Eric Overmyer about how they fictionalized reporting by A. C. Thompson into a key storyline in the 3rd season of the acclaimed HBO show.
The talk will take place at New York University’s Cantor Film Center and it will be moderated by Joe Pichirallo, the chair of NYU’s Undergraduate Film & Television program and a former journalist, film producer and studio executive.
In 2008, Thompson began looking into acts of vigilantism against African Americans and the mysterious death of a man whose remains were burned in a car, possibly by members of the New Orleans Police Department. Simon and Overmyer have incorporated elements of Thompson’s work (and our collaborative Law & Disorder series) into the new season of Treme and the group will talk about the process of turning those tragic incidents into a dramatic narrative.
The event is free and open to the public, but seats are limited and available only on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit our Facebook event page for more information and let us know if you plan to attend.
If you are not familiar with Treme, you can read a backgrounder on the program here and watch a trailer for the new season below.
Live stream: Real to Reel
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Adam Harris to Join ProPublica as Assistant Social Editor
- ProPublica Hires Ragan Rhyne as Vice President, Development
- Cynthia Gordy Named as ProPublica’s Marketing Director
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.