‘Prescribers’ Project Wins Health Data Liberators Award
ProPublica’s “Prescribers” series received the Health Data Liberators Award today at the Health Datapalooza in Washington, DC. The award recognizes work that opens doors to positive change in health care.
“The Prescribers” used Medicare data to analyze the way doctors prescribe, finding that lack of federal oversight was allowing risky prescribing and billions of dollars in waste and fraud. Its driving force is the innovative “Prescriber Checkup” news application, which allows patients to look up their own doctors to see what they’re prescribing. The investigation has already prompted federal officials to reform the way they police doctors in Medicare, the country’s biggest drug program.
ProPublica’s team on the project – Charles Ornstein, Tracy Weber, Jennifer LaFleur, Lena Groeger and Jeff Larson – showed that “in the right hands, health data is a powerful tool, able to bring about greater understanding of how our system works, and when deployed effectively, positive changes to policy, technology, clinical care, and patient outcomes,” said Dwayne Spradlin, CEO of Health Data Consortium.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.