‘Prescribers’ Project Wins Health Data Liberators Award
ProPublica’s “Prescribers” series received the Health Data Liberators Award today at the Health Datapalooza in Washington, DC. The award recognizes work that opens doors to positive change in health care.
“The Prescribers” used Medicare data to analyze the way doctors prescribe, finding that lack of federal oversight was allowing risky prescribing and billions of dollars in waste and fraud. Its driving force is the innovative “Prescriber Checkup” news application, which allows patients to look up their own doctors to see what they’re prescribing. The investigation has already prompted federal officials to reform the way they police doctors in Medicare, the country’s biggest drug program.
ProPublica’s team on the project – Charles Ornstein, Tracy Weber, Jennifer LaFleur, Lena Groeger and Jeff Larson – showed that “in the right hands, health data is a powerful tool, able to bring about greater understanding of how our system works, and when deployed effectively, positive changes to policy, technology, clinical care, and patient outcomes,” said Dwayne Spradlin, CEO of Health Data Consortium.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.