ProPublica and Partners Win IRE Award
ProPublica and our partners at Frontline and Marketplace have been honored with an Investigative Editors & Reporters Award for our dark money reporting. The three news organizations were given IRE’s Multiplatform (large site) honor for our joint “Big Sky, Big Money” project.
The IRE judges said, “This project featured multiple partners breaking down a complicated subject – campaign finance in the post-Citizens United era – in a simple, entertaining fashion.”
The investigation looked at the rising influence of groups called “social welfare” nonprofits, which can spend money on politics without reporting their donors. Through the lens of a group active in Montana and Colorado, we showed how dark money outfits circumvent campaign finance rules and how federal and state agencies often struggle to catch up.
Using records found in a Colorado meth house, we also were able to penetrate the group’s veil of secrecy, identifying its contributors and showing how it had interacted with candidates.
As the IRE judges noted, our stories had impact: “The investigation led to a Montana judicial ruling that Western Tradition Partnership violated the state’s campaign finance laws and the head of the organization resigned.”
CNN Digital shared in the Multiplatform Award (large site). A list of all the IRE winners is available here.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.