ProPublica Illinois Is Hiring an Assistant Director of Development
As ProPublica, one of America’s most innovative nonprofit newsrooms, launches its first regional operation, we are looking for dynamic fundraising talent to join us at ProPublica Illinois. As part of a national team, you will help build and implement an ambitious and sustainable development strategy in Illinois.
ProPublica is seeking an assistant director of development for ProPublica Illinois. The assistant director will be a generalist, working to help solicit and steward major gifts, institutional foundation support, online giving and development operations strategies in the state. As the sole development staff in our Chicago office, the ideal candidate will be hands-on and proactive, flexible and collegial. Successful candidates will have particular experience building and managing a pipeline of major gifts and institutional donors and will have strong research and prospecting skills.
The assistant director will report to the vice president of development and will work closely with the national fundraising team based in New York City, as well as the editor-in-chief of ProPublica Illinois, based in Chicago.
Research and develop a pipeline of donor prospects for ProPublica Illinois, with specific focus on institutional foundation and major individual donors
Implement a pipeline tracking system to manage donor relationships
Work with the director of development in New York to develop and execute a foundation relations strategy for ProPublica Illinois; write LOIs, proposals and reports for local institutional foundations
With the director of online fundraising and outreach, implement an online giving program specific to ProPublica Illinois
Coordinate with the development manager in New York to establish gift processing, acknowledgement, donor services and reporting protocols for ProPublica Illinois
Manage day-to-day development tasks in the Chicago office as they arise
Other projects, as assigned
A bachelor’s degree is required
At least 3 years of experience in development
Knowledge of the Chicago and Illinois funding communities
Strong writing skills
Experience with donor databases
Proven ability to work effectively across departments; strong interpersonal skills
Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines
A high level of expertise combined with a can-do attitude; willingness and ability to formulate a plan and personally implement down to smallest details
ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. Our work focuses exclusively on truly important stories, stories with “moral force.” We do this by producing journalism that shines a light on exploitation of the weak by the strong and on the failures of those with power to vindicate the trust placed in them.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.