ProPublica Is Hiring a Senior Producer, Video (Contract)
We are no longer accepting applications for this position. See available positions here.
ProPublica is seeking a senior producer to lead our film, TV and digital video efforts.
Over the years, we have partnered with FRONTLINE, Discovery, Vox and more on award-winning television programs and original video.
Now we are launching an initiative to generate and execute these projects in-house, overseen by an experienced senior producer who will:
- Identify and develop stories being worked on in the ProPublica newsroom that have potential to work as films, television, or digital video
- Oversee a three-person team of film and video makers who produce short, medium, or long original journalism as well as pieces that complement our written work
- Develop relationships with new content partners, in close collaboration with business team
The ideal candidate understands the worlds of film, television and social platforms and has a proven track record of developing ideas and shepherding projects through to completion.
We’d ask you to submit:
- Links to 2-3 samples of your work, with explanations of your role in each project.
- Examples of 2-3 digital videos or op-docs you admire, with a few words on why.
- A brief memo sketching out your vision for shaping ProPublica’s work in film, TV and digital video.
We know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
This is a contract position that runs through the end of 2018. This position is full time and includes benefits and is based at our headquarters in New York.
You can apply using this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.