VIDEO: Maddow and NewsHour Segments on the Adelson Investigation
Yesterday, ProPublica and PBS Frontline – in conjunction with the Investigative Reporting Program of the University of California – published a piece on leading Republican donor Sheldon Adelson and how he is under expanding scrutiny by federal and Nevada investigators for actions that may violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. ProPublica managing editor Stephen Engelberg was on the Rachel Maddow Show last night to discuss the report on Adelson. The interview, which begins at 11:32, covers how Adelson has become the single largest Republican donor in this election (if not the single largest American donor of all time), the dire financial situation Adelson's company faced after the economic downturn, and how the Justice Department might go about investigating possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
PBS NewsHour also had Engelberg on to explain the investigation and how internal emails disclosed in his report for the first time show that Adelson's company came to pay $700,000 in legal fees to a Macau legislator.
Watch Did GOP Money Man Sheldon Adelson Violate Bribery Law? on PBS. See more from PBS NewsHour.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.