What You Need to Know About Hydrofracking
As drilling for natural gas continues in states across America, PBS’s “Need to Know ” bores down into the issue by taking a closer look at the safety concerns that surround the drilling process known as hydraulic fracturing . In a report produced in collaboration with ProPublica reporter Abrahm Lustgarten, the program investigates how fracking threatens to contaminate drinking water sources for millions of Americans.
And for those of you who complain that we don’t feature enough celebrities in our work, “Need to Know” talks to actor Mark Ruffalo  about why he opposes fracking. “Need to Know” airs over the weekend on PBS stations across the country. Click here  to find your local station and show time.
If you would like more information on stories related to this episode, be sure to read:
And read all of our natural gas reporting on the ProPublica “Buried Secrets ” series page.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Adam Harris to Join ProPublica as Assistant Social Editor
- ProPublica Hires Ragan Rhyne as Vice President, Development
- Cynthia Gordy Named as ProPublica’s Marketing Director
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.