We are no longer accepting applications for this position. See available positions here.
ProPublica is seeking a smart, motivated investigative data reporter to join its award-winning news applications and data team in New York City.
For your own enterprise projects and working with other reporters, you’ll use data to tell stories that hold the powerful accountable.
As a data reporter, you will:
- Wrangle data, including FOIA’ing for it, scraping it, cleaning it, analyzing it and preparing it for publication
- Enterprise your own accountability stories by combining data work, interviewing and on-the ground reporting with excellent storytelling
- Assist other reporters with data brainstorming, acquisition, cleaning and analysis for projects
- Bulletproof and spot-check data work done by other journalists on the team and in the newsroom
- Execute statistical analyses and interpret the results
- Teach and encourage best practices and newsroom data policies
The ideal candidate will have:
- A journalism degree or experience working in a newsroom
- Excellent interpersonal skills, solid editorial judgment and the ability to write quickly and cleanly on deadline
- Solid understanding of the tools of data journalism, such as database management systems (SQL Server or PostgreSQL), statistics software (R, SPSS), Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Experience with best practices in data journalism, including proper reproducibility methods
Although this is not a coding job, programming is becoming an increasingly important tool for any data journalist, so experience using programming techniques to find and analyze data — or a demonstrated aptitude to learn — would be very useful.
This position is full time with benefits and you’ll be based in our office in Manhattan. We are not considering remote applicants for this position.
You can apply using this form. We know that data journalists sometimes don’t get top credit in stories in which their data work played an important role, so don’t worry if a story doesn’t carry your byline. Please include a few sentences explaining exactly what role you played in each clip and describe the data work you did.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email email@example.com.