ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and well-organized professional to join the New York headquarters as the Finance Associate. The Associate will work in close partnership with the Director of Finance as well as the development and newsroom staff, gaining valuable finance experience. He or she will play a critical role in preparing and managing the finance database, interacting with staff and key stakeholders, and managing special projects.
The ideal candidate is required to have a strong interest in public affairs, at minimum a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and two to three years experience in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in cooperative but self-directed manner are also critical. Knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel, and basic bookkeeping skills are required. Knowledge of payroll processing systems is a plus.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Enter data into financial systems, including accounts payable and receivable.
- Make bank deposits and assist with monthly credit card reconciliation process.
- Provide general administrative support to Director of Finance, including record compilation, research, and invoicing.
- Assist with implementation of new financial systems and technology.
- Act as an occasional back-up for Director of Finance, including managing accounts payable and payroll administration on as-needed basis, along with other special projects as needed.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Development team with special projects, as needed.
- Provide general administrative assistance as needed.
The Finance Associate is a part-time, 25 hour/week position, with work hours likely occurring 3 or 4 days/week. Required work will occur during typical week day business hours. Exact schedule is somewhat flexible. Includes paid time off.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
To apply, submit a resume and a cover note explaining why you are the best fit for this job to AdminJobs@propublica.org by September 6, 2016.