ProPublica is seeking a talented, versatile designer to advance the design and UX of our website and story presentations on a freelance basis.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- The ability to take designs from initial sketches to finished web pages
- Experience prototyping interactivity and demonstrating design ideas to a group
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS and modern web design tools like Sass and jQuery
- Mastery of common visual design tools (Photoshop, Sketch.app, etc)
- Solid knowledge of UX fundamentals
- Photography and illustration skills are a plus
The ideal applicant cares deeply about editorial content and is a thoughtful, passionate advocate for the user.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
What you should send us:
Send us a link to your portfolio. If you don’t have a portfolio, please send links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on and describe how you contributed to them. Tell us what worked, what might not of, and how that fit into the context of what was needed for the project.