Update, Feb. 27, 2017: This position has been filled.
ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and well-organized finance and accounting professional to join the New York headquarters as the manager of financial operations. Reporting to the director of finance, this role will work closely with the Finance and Development teams, as well as with the newsroom staff, to provide critical financial support. This position will play a major role in the daily financial operations of the organization, interact with staff and key stakeholders, and manage special projects.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two to three years experience in a bookkeeping and/or finance support role
- The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment
- Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in cooperative but self-directed manner
- Knowledge of MS Office, including intermediate level Excel proficiency, and bookkeeping skills are required. Experience with Quickbooks, Fund EZ, payroll processing systems, and non-profit accounting are a plus
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Accounts payable and receivable, including calculating expense allocations
- Bank deposits, payment processing, and reconciliation of monthly credit card statements
- Payroll processing and human resources database management
- Assistance with monthly, quarterly, and annual closing procedures, including making associated journal entries
- Assistance with grant accounting, ad-hoc reporting, and annual audit preparation
- General administrative support to finance staff, including record compilation, research, and invoicing
- Ability to back-up Director of Finance as needed, along with other special projects as called upon
ProPublica is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
This position is full-time with benefits and is based in our newsroom headquarters in New York City.
To apply, submit a resume, salary requirements, and cover letter explaining why you are the best fit for this job to [email protected].