ProPublica is seeking a full-time software developer/journalist to join its award-winning news applications team, covering Illinois and working with and out of our newsroom in Chicago.
As a news apps developer you will:
- Design and develop news apps and interactive graphics to hold Illinois's powerful accountable and have real impact on the lives of the public.
- Work with the best news nerds on the planet on some of the biggest and most innovative projects in investigative and data journalism. ⚡
The ideal candidate will have:
- Design talent, coding acumen and a journalist's insight, or demonstrated excellence in at least two of these areas and an aptitude for and genuine interest in developing your skills in all three.
- Experience working with data from state and city governments.
- Attention to detail and a love for making things.
- The self-discipline to work independently, as well as an eagerness to work with teammates on collaborative projects.
- Fluency in modern and widely-supported front- and back-end languages. We're a Ruby shop, but we're happy to have you learn Ruby after you get here.
While your work will be focused on Chicago and Illinois, you will also be learning from and working alongside ProPublica’s award-winning news apps team based in New York. This position in based in Chicago.
You can apply using this form. We cannot emphasize this enough: Great projects are the most important part of the application.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Also send them to [email protected].