This position has been filled.
We are looking for a senior editor with the vision and skills to guide, edit and elevate top-notch, compelling investigations that spur change.
What you would be doing:
- Overseeing a team of up to half a dozen reporters, each of whom is working on ambitious, important, complex stories
- Working in collaboration across the newsroom and with publishing partners on projects that can take a variety of forms, from newspaper-style take-outs to magazine, radio and TV pieces, often accompanied by groundbreaking interactive databases
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A strong track record of delivering excellent, hard-hitting stories and investigations — either as a reporter or editor
- Experience working with data-intensive stories
- Embraced and experimented with how to best tell stories online, whether with interactives, text, visuals, or any other form
- The ability to bring new ideas, experiences, backgrounds and viewpoints to expand and elevate ProPublica’s coverage
- A sense of fun and a willingness to take risks
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don't hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
What you should send us:
The most important part by far is your past work. Send us URLs to your best stuff. Let us know how your editing shaped and improved the stories you send. Don’t be shy — tell us what worked (numbers and evidence of impact welcome!) and how you’d do it differently next time.
Editing is about far more than moving around words. Show us how you think. Lay out a project you think ProPublica should do and tell us how you would approach guiding that project. What might specific stories be? How should they be told? Be expansive: Are these narratives, hard news stories, immersive interactives, etc.?
Put all of that together — along with your resume, of course — and send it to email@example.com. Our preference is for the job to be based at our headquarters in New York.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
The deadline for applying is Feb. 10.