ProPublica is seeking a talented, versatile designer to advance the design and UX of our website and editorial projects.
You will be a part of our growing Design & Production team, collaborating directly with editors and reporters to find engaging new ways to tell stories and refine the user experience of our core site. You will be at the epicenter of one of the most exciting newsrooms in the country, crafting user experiences for some of the best, most important investigative journalism anywhere. Every day will be a chance to work in an environment where design is integral to the mission.
You should have:
- The ability to take a design from initial sketches to finished web pages.
- Experience prototyping interactivity and demonstrating design ideas to a group.
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS and modern web design tools like Sass and jQuery.
- Mastery of common visual design tools (Photoshop, Sketch.app, etc).
- Proven track record iterating designs based on user needs and stakeholder feedback.
- Solid knowledge of UX fundamentals.
- Photography and illustration skills are a plus.
The ideal applicant cares deeply about editorial content and is a thoughtful, passionate advocate for the user. You are organized and detail oriented.
Email [email protected] to apply. Include a resume and links to your work, along with a brief explanation discussing them.
The position is based in our newsroom headquarters in New York City. This is a full time position, with benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is not a data journalism or reporting job, but will interact with both on a daily basis.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.