ProPublica is seeking a Director of Finance and Human Resources who will lead all of ProPublica’s finance, accounting, reporting and human resources efforts.
The Director will report to the president of ProPublica and work closely with the organization’s leadership team and 50-person staff, as well as with its auditors. This is a very hands-on role, with no current direct reports, and likely no more than one in the foreseeable future.
- Full general ledger accounting for a business with roughly $13 million in annual revenues (largely donations, some restricted) and expenses in accordance with appropriate GAAP standards, regulatory requirements and grant agreements;
- Monthly (and other occasional) financial reporting to management and Board leadership;
- Preparation (with president) of annual budget;
- Management of insurance program;
- Principal contact for company’s auditors;
- Leadership in formulating and implementing HR policies, and management of personnel systems;
- Regulatory work around fundraising in liaison with outside counsel.
- Strong background in accounting and all related aspects of running a medium-sized enterprise, highly preferably in the non-profit sector.
- An instinctive and compassionate feel for human resources questions, preferably with some professional experience in the area.
- A commitment to the value of a free and inquisitive press in our democracy.
- A creative, entrepreneurial spirit with unimpeachable integrity, rigorous precision, high energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online news organization to win a Pulitzer Prize. In 2011, ProPublica won its second Pulitzer, the first ever awarded to a body of work that did not appear in print. In 2014, ProPublica received a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. ProPublica is supported primarily by philanthropy and offers its articles for republication, both through its website and directly to leading news organizations selected for maximum impact.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply. The position is full time with comprehensive benefits. Salary is competitive. Send cover letter and resume to [email protected].